Families of victims of the 2018 school shooting in Parkland, Fla., reached a settlement with the Justice Department in their lawsuit over the FBI’s failure to act on tips about the gunman.
NPR reported that the settlement totals around $130 million.
The shooting occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb. 14, 2018, where former student Nikolas Cruz opened fire, killing 17 people and injuring at least 17 others.
In their suit, the families accused the FBI of negligence, saying the bureau failed to act on tips it received about Cruz, including his amassing of weapons and his desire to shoot up a school.
Weeks before the shooting, a tipster told the FBI that Cruz “was going to slip into a school and start shooting the place up.”
“Although no resolution could ever restore what the Parkland families lost, this settlement marks an important step toward justice,” said Kristina Infante, the lead attorney for the families.
Cruz pleaded guilty last month. He’s still awaiting sentencing.